Motor-Homers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesStolen Motorhome DatabaseRegisterLog in
Thank you for visiting Motor-Homers.co.uk - Sponsored By Outsmart The Thief Ltd - A motorhome club owned by its members, Please register to join us for a chat - IT'S FREE TO JOIN ~~~~~
Latest topics
» 1. Haxey Quays, 9 nights 03/05/24 - 12/05/24
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Yesterday at 16:29

» 3. Bridlington meet 1st to 10th June
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 16:34

» 4. Bakewell meet, 2nd to 11th June 2024
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Garjanco Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 14:48

» 5. Lee Meadow Farm Matlock, 11th to 18th June
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 14:02

» 2) Breighton Ferry, 12th to 17th May
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Chameleon Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:16

» New Member Hello to all
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby beerdrinker Sun 4 Feb 2024 - 17:35

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Mon 29 Jan 2024 - 19:33

» RIP Sharon Lomas
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Tue 16 Jan 2024 - 21:49

» Christmas greetings
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Fri 29 Dec 2023 - 21:35

» Emmisions
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby rebbyvid Tue 12 Dec 2023 - 13:36

» 6) Xmas meet at Whittingham club, 30/11/23 to 04/12/23
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Tue 5 Dec 2023 - 21:56

» Rally Group Reminder
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Tue 21 Nov 2023 - 22:51

» 2024 meets open
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 21:37

» 2023 AGM details
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:14

» 4) Bridlington meet, 4th to 11th July 2023
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 11:02

» Techno
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:55

» SORRY
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:49

» Birthday greetings
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 19 Oct 2023 - 21:46

» 5) Haxey Quays 29/09/23 to 09/10/23
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby graham & dale Fri 29 Sep 2023 - 13:49

» New meet lee meadow farm
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby jolly camper Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 23:45

» Morecambe
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Polly Thu 14 Sep 2023 - 18:58

» 2) The Breighton Ferry, Breighton Selby, 01/05/23 to 09/05/23
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:56

» 3) Bakewell Rally 1st June to 8th June 2023
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:23

» 1) Haxey Quays, 21st April to 1st May 2023
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sat 24 Jun 2023 - 19:11

» Rally Pack
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 20:42

» Apologies I've deleted pics of fbook group
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Fri 9 Jun 2023 - 23:45

» Happy birthday Jolly Camper
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby John Sutcliffe Fri 2 Jun 2023 - 13:55

» 2023 - Motor-Homers AGM, time and location
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby KSH Sun 28 May 2023 - 20:04

» Hello everyone.
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sun 28 May 2023 - 19:25

» INFO FOR THOSE ATTENDING BAKEWELL 1stJUNE TO 8th 2023
Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeby Ambilkate Sat 27 May 2023 - 23:17

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sweepea

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. Empty
PostSubject: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2015 - 21:50

For 3 wks. in June this year, we went to Skye and over to The Outer Hebrides (4th visit) and island hopped From Harris to Berneray, then 'causewayed' down to the bottom! Awful weather....

In a few weeks time we are going back up to Arisaig nr. Mallaig.....The wife left her umbrella on the beach when we stayed there on our way to the Outer isles and we needed an excuse to go back to this wonderful part of the world.

We will stay for a couple of days around Arisaig, then head down to the Ardnamurchan Penninsular for a while, then ferry to Mull from Lochaline. We will then tour Mull and then ferry to Oban and down the coast to the Mull of Kintyre. Have a wander around there for a few days before catching the ferry to Arran, stay a while before catching the ferry to Ardrossan. Then stopping around Galloway and the Solway Firth before heading down the M6 to home nr. Chester...about 3wks. in all.

All that longwinded stuff leads me to my question....We haven't been to Ardnamurchan, Mull, The Mull of Kintyre or Arran. Has anyone been to any of these places and can give any help re-campsites or wild camping spots please?

We prefer small, cheap CL's and CS's....Not bothered about EHU's and we certainly don't like big sites! We've been on UKcampsites and found a few places, but I wondered if you good people had a favourite you would like to share with us?

All help and advise would be gratefully received...Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
whistlinggypsy

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. 400010
whistlinggypsy

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2015 - 22:07

great trip you are doing and this may help you sort out some stopovers, look at this site for wilding, camperstops ect.  searchforsites.co.uk its an excellent site for what you are looking for, for full details please register (free) and you will get all the info. Enjoy your trip.
Back to top Go down
KSH

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. 600010
KSH

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2015 - 22:56

Haven't been so can't really help but as Bob said, searchforsites is a good place to start, just click the link at top left of every page on our site.
Was thinking of doing something similar next year, either that or back to Orkney, think my heart is telling me Orkney at the minute, we loved it there last year

sweepea

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug 2015 - 9:15

Thanks for the quick replies chaps, I appreciate them and will be of great help.

We fell in love with Arisaig when we stopped there in June, before getting the ferry from Mallaig to Skye, and knew before the year was out we'd be back.

We didn't want to come back via our usual route - Fort William, Crianlarish and Sterling (Don't do Erskine Bridge and Glasgow) hence our latest route home!

If anyone on here would like any additional info. on The Outer Isles, we would be only too happy to help. We found some amazing spots to wild camp - or for just a few pounds. 

Once again, thanks for your help.....
Back to top Go down
madeinyorkshire

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. 25010
madeinyorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug 2015 - 13:42

Mull :
Fidden Farm campsite on the west coast is heaven, you can walk from the site to the ferry across to Iona. On your way east again go around to Loch Na Keal, south shoreline there are places to wild camp next to the sea and when you wake up next morning watch the Otters playing in the sea from your windows.
Calgary Bay is another un missable spot, you can park overnight on the shoreline ( Toilets roadside), though you may have to pay now.
Tobermory is beautiful - small campsite out of town or park harbourside and I think you can pay to use the harbour hot showers.
Back to top Go down
sweepea

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug 2015 - 15:46

Thanks 'MIY' for your information too...All good stuff.

We had the places you mention on our short list, but now we've read your post they are confirmed as 'Must stay at''!

Thanks again......
Back to top Go down
Polly

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. 500010
Polly

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2015 - 10:57

His

Sorry cannot help

Went to the outer Hebredes in May 
We had a month but lasted just over two weeks due to the horrendous weather

I personnelly possibly will not be going there again it had no wow factor even on the good days.
Might try the inner islands but when I am less traumatised 

Off to Southern Ireland next week
Will start another post
Back to top Go down
Polly

Polly

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2015 - 10:58

Hia

Sorry forgot to say

Enjoy your Trip sunny
Back to top Go down
sweepea

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2015 - 12:46

Hi Polly,
I've just read your post and although everyone forms their own opinion - and rightly so - I  find it hard to understand why you found the Outer Isles had no (as you put it) "wow factor"
My wife and I went in the last few days of May thru June this year, and yes the weather was for the most part a bit rough, but the diddy ferries, the jaw dropping beaches, the Machair, the Golden Road, the people, the quaint 'shops' complete with honesty boxes, the superb wild camping spots, the wild life (no midgies!)....etc. all make this unique place what it is.

The rapidly changing weather is part and parcel of the Hebrides. We were out in it no matter what. All being well we will return next year. It will be my 5th and my wife's 3rd. trip over there.

I noticed you had a rough time weather wise, but please don't dismiss the place. Try again in good weather - It's a gem.

And here we go again for September...well close anyway. Mind you we will be camping only a few miles short of the Mallaig ferry to Skye, then it's only a short trip up the island and we could catch the ferry to Tarbert and we would be back on Harris.....Food for thought!

Thanks for the good wishes for our Sept. trip, and you enjoy Ireland and keep safe.
Back to top Go down
Polly

Polly

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2015 - 13:14

Hia

Thanks for your views
I hope you have a good Sept

Yes maybe in a few years may possibly revisit 
When I have visited the other places I want to visit

A few years ago I had planned a trip up Northumberland then to Inverness and deciding how I felt if I should carry on up the coast to the top maybe a boat to the Orkneys
Or
Turn left and make my way back home

I chickened out and didn't go and regretted it abit. So maybe another time
Next year I want to do England
But it's a lady's choice ( couldn't spell pro----) to change her mind

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. 372028940 Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. 372028940
Back to top Go down
sweepea

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug 2015 - 14:15

Ah, Northumberland...Superb, empty beaches that go on forever. We spent a couple of weeks wandering up that coast 3 years ago in October - and we were in 'T' shirts most of the time!

We went up the M6 to nr. Carlisle staying first night at a great little campsite then followed Hadrians Wall across to the N.E. coast, then up the Northumbrian coast....

Well worth it...How about doing it next year Polly?
Back to top Go down
sweepea

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 5 Oct 2015 - 15:26

Just returned from a great 3 weeks or so touring the places I mentioned at the start....'T' shirts and shorts all the way!

Arisaig was better than ever. We stayed a couple of extra nights, just didn't want to leave....The Ardnamurchan area was sublime. Mull was very diverse and plenty to see and do. We stayed at Fidden Farm far too long, what a great place. Nearly as good as Arisaig.....The West of Kintyre was average. The South and East coast of the penninsular would have been great but for the roads! Loads of wildcamping spots, mind!

Arran's roads are a total disgrace and we wouldn't go near the place again until we hear the roads are sorted. I realise the roads are narrow (which I don't mind one bit) but the surfaces are a disaster. Even the locals agreed. This is a pity 'cos the island has a lot to offer, but we won't be returning.

The local authorities around the area really should get a grip and sort the roads out. I'm sure it will put folks off returning to certain areas...It certainly did us.

By contrast the Outer Hebrides roads are superb, even the roads to nowhere are as smooth as a babies bum!

Apart from some roads we had a super time in super weather.....

Thanks for the campsite suggestions.
Back to top Go down
sweepea

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitimeMon 5 Oct 2015 - 16:14

Sorry forgot to mention we did 1400 mls. Chester and back.

Also, we will be going back to Arran, but as a stepping stone only!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.   Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motorhoming in Ardnamurchan, Mull, Kintyre and Arran.
Page 1 of 1